Friday, March 12, 2010

DAVID CROCKETT IN CONGRESS - The Rise and Fall of the Poor Man’s Friend

“David Crockett in Congress”, The Rise and Fall of the Poor Man’s Friend
By James R. Boylston and Allen J. Wiener
Bright Sky Press
336 pages including index


As a reviewer for Our History Project I have the opportunity to read a lot of historical based books, and conduct interviews with the authors of those I like. Every couple of month or so, I get my hands on a stellar book that stands out from the crowd and it means just a little more than the rest. “David Crockett in Congress” is one of those books.

When I first received the book from the publisher, I wondered how many books they had sent me because of the weight of the package. To my surprise it was just the one, I quickly turned the pages and resigned myself to the upcoming long task of starting this book that was filled from cover to cover with text dotted with a few photos. It truly looked like a reference book and it honestly took me a week to muster up the courage to start it. I finally opened it and began reading in earnest.

I must admit I have always been a Crockett fan and I was truly shocked when my wife told me it was time for bed. Wow, four hours had just flown by. I have now given you my thoughts before and during this review now let’s get to the meat of the book.

A study into the legend, the myth and the man of Davy Crockett was what I was expecting. To learn more about this giant figure of the past.... I did! However, that was only the tip of the iceberg. There is so much here that it would take a novel to recap the highlights. Let me just say you will get a personal look at Crockett and the inner workings of government at a time when we as a nation was really trying to find our way. You will see personal insights of most of the big names in our history such as Jackson, Polk, Clay and Van Buren just to name a small handful of the players here.

The great thing on a study like this is that you are not relying on the authors’ take, tale or opinion to draw a conclusion of the book in question. They are continually helped out by the man himself; in his own words. From the stump we see the humor; from the floor we see the strength, leverage, skill and determination. From the letters you will find the true Crockett, his compassion, his vision, his morals and his beliefs. In essence what you get is the legend that you thought you knew, firmly cemented in history as the real deal and a true felling that you knew Davy personally. This book will go down in all time as the best book on Crockett ever written or complied and I can honestly say that this book will be the reference for many future Crockett researchers for generations to come.

The only negative I can find in this book is the Title. I thought it strange reading “David” Crockett, because he has always been “Davy” during my life. Remember what I said in the last paragraph, I know him personally now and you can to, I’ll introduce you. So, you can call him by his given name if you want to; it is formally correct; but he will always be Davy to me.



Happy Reading

Craig Anderson
Our History Project

No comments:

Post a Comment