Saturday, July 11, 2009

OUR HISTORY PROJECT BOOK REVIEW -WOMEN WHO FLY: by Lynn M. Homan and Thomas Rielly, Illustrated by Rosalie M. Sheperd


WOMEN WHO FLY: by Lynn M. Homan and Thomas Rielly, Illustrated by Rosalie M. Sheperd
Pelican Publishing, 103 pages

I need to start this review with a story - Until I was about 35 I never really gave thought to the view of women in our society. It was not until a car buying venture with my wife that it became apparent to me. See, “she” wanted a new vehicle and we went looking. I noticed that all the salesmen would address me and really ignore her. Why? It’s going to her car or van, why talk to me? The second time that happened that day a frankly told the salesman, “I’m not the one you need to talk to.” With that I shrank into the background as much as possible and forced the issue of them dealing with her. She is smart, knew what see was looking for and could ask the questions about features important to her.

Fast forward several years and I now have two daughters, and I tell them; just like all the generations before; you can do anything you put your mind to. I actively seek out inspirations, books and stories so that they will have a grounded background and build on the confidence of those women who came before them.

Now the review – This book is a Juvenile Nonfiction Book and is also part of the Accelerated Reader Program Books. Let me say right now - Do not let this stop you from picking this book up! It is a wonderful, inspiring and historical read. The determination of these early women flyers are a lost treasure of our history. We all grew up knowing Amelia Earhart, right. Who does not know that name.

What about Ruth Law? Harriett Qumiby? Matilda Moisant? Blanch Stuart Scott? Julia Clark? And a whole pack of women that made a difference that I bet you have never heard of. This book is a chronical of them all. Their determination to do what they wanted in a time that women were supposed to be at home, there since of pride in their accomplishments and unknown to some of them the doors that they opened for generations to come. Not in great giant steps but small steps, but fighting every step of the way.

I could literally go on and on, but I will end in saying that this is a must read for any and everybody. The stories and the history of women in early aviation is a grand adventure.

Craig Anderson
Our History Project

No comments:

Post a Comment